Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: lab censorship

  1. #1
    Inactive Member dharmabum1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've heard people complain that certain labs wont develop/return film that contains material considered "obscene" or "offensive." Im shooting some footage this weekend that will include nudity and sexual content. Im processing my black and white footage myself but would like to shoot a little color and am wondering if i would even be able to get this footage processed. Are there specific rules? I have a PK59 mailer that i was planning on using, will the lab that Kodak sends my film to accept it? What do they do if the find the film "obscene" do they keep it themselves?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My last few PK59 mailers seem to have gone to Dwaynes for processing and not Kodak Switzerland. The film comes back on white reels unlike the black ones I always got before. Anyway I've never heard of one complaint as far as censorship goes from either lab in the last 6 years.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dharmabum1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well i just called Dwaynes and the woman i spoke to said that they will develop anything unless it contains child pornography. However, she also said that they no longer honor the processing mailers because their contract with Kodak has run out. Is this true? Ive heard several people say that kodak film is sent to switzerland and then sent back to the states to be processed at dwaynes. I feel like im hearing so many contrary things.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Skyliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In the uk the lab calls the cops, I know 'cos we did a "disposing of the body" scene and the lab kept procrastinating when we tried to collect it. Next thing was uniforms at the door and a few difficult hours in interrogation.
    The States may be softer, I don't know, but now I always tell the lab what to expect and and wave some film credentials around.
    Paradoxically I now go to the same lab because they 'know' me and I won't get a repeat.
    P.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yale labes in North Hollywood has pretty strickt standards.

    No, the film that goes to Switzerland has nothing whatsoever to do with Dwaynes.
    It's processed in Switzerland.

    Matt Pacini

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •